After importing a process xpdl file, why do I receive “Error during the process workflow -- File does not exist!” when I launch a new request?

Issue

After importing a process XPDL file, why do I receive Error during the process workflow -- File does not exist! when I launch a new request?

Cause

Certain File type process data are missing the actual/original default files from the original process.

Background

If your process contains File type process data (such as for email templates), the process file (XPDL) will have a reference to the design repository located in your WorkflowGen design time file storage path (e.g. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wfgen\App_Data\Files\DataSet\design).

This error will happen if you are trying to export a process from/to a different server (e.g. from Test to Production) without including the file associated to the File type data.

Solution

When exporting a process, make sure you select OK when prompted with the question:

Do you want to export the files associated to the file-type data?

You can also manually add the associated files to those File type process data through the Process Data list in the Administration Module.