How to create forms with collapsible and expandable sections with an icon

Overview

When a form gets big, it can be quite long for a user to scroll down to their section, which makes the usage less user-friendly.

One solution is to implement a section collapse, which will reduce how much the user needs to scroll and only expand the sections that are required for that specific user.

Implementation

1. In the form designer, add a new section. In our process sample we added the FORM section.

2. Add one textbox field to this new section; this field will contain a list of sections to be collapsed. In our process sample, the textbox is named FIELDS_COLLAPSED.

3. Click the gear icon to open the Form configuration panel.

4. On the General tab, check Enable AJAX mode.

5. On the Web References tab, check Include the jQuery API and jQuery UI libraries.

6. Add the following stylesheet in the text area:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/font-awesome/6.0.0/css/all.min.css" />

7. In the Form Designer, click JS in the toolbar to open the JavaScript code editor.

8. Copy and paste the following code in the text area:

function pageLoad () {
        $('#FORM').hide();

setCollapse();
    }

function setCollapse() {
        $("div.SectionHeader").append('<i class="fas fa-minus" style="float: left; margin-right:10px; font-size: 21px; margin-top: 2px"></i>');

// Collapse the sections defined in HIDDEN_FIELDS_COLLAPSED
        if ($("#FORM_FIELDS_COLLAPSED").val() !== "") {
            var sections = $("#FORM_FIELDS_COLLAPSED").val().split(",");
            for (i = 0; i < sections.length; i++) {
                $("#" + $.trim(sections[i]) + " > div.SectionHeader").find("i").attr("class", "fas fa-plus");
                $("#" + $.trim(sections[i])).find("div.Fields").css("display", "none");
            }
        }

$("div.SectionHeader").click(function () {
            var $fields = $(this).parent().find("div.Fields");
            if ($fields.css("display") == "none")
            {
                $(this).find("i").attr("class","fas fa-minus")
            }
            else
            {
                $(this).find("i").attr("class","fas fa-plus")
            }
            $(this).parent().find("div.Fields").toggle("blind", 500);
        }).attr("title", "Click to collapse or expand").css("cursor", "pointer");
    }

In the pageLoad section, the FORM section is hidden with JavaScript.

In the setCollapse fuction, the form collapse is managed by the FORM_FIELDS_COLLAPSED field.

If your section or field has a different ID, you’ll need to change the reference in the JavaScript function.

9. For every web form action, add the FORM_FIELDS_COLLAPSED parameter with a comma-separated list of section IDs for the sections you want to display collapsed when the form is first loaded.

A sample process can be found on the WorkflowGen GitHub community: