Sometimes it may be useful to create a new development project froma pre-created web form project. Instead of copying and pasting a previous web form and modifying it to the new requirements, you can have a Web Form Project Template in Visual Studio 2008 which contains a base of files which will always be needed in all (or some)new web form projects (i.e.: WorkflowGen.My.dll, logos, style sheets, etc). This can help with standardization of your corporate templates.
To create a custom web form project template you can use the Export Template wizard in Visual Studio 2008.
- Create a project.
- Edit the project until it is ready to be exported as a template.
- On the File menu, click Export Template. The Export Template wizard opens.
- Click Project Template.
- If you have more than one project in your current solution, select the project you want to export to a template.
- Select the type of template that you want to create.
- Click Next.
- Select an icon for your template. This icon will appear in the New Project dialog box.
- Enter a template name and description.
- Click Finish. Your project is exported into a .zip file and placed in the specified output location, and, if selected, imported into Visual Studio.
- The next time you create a new web site or project, you will see the new template you created!